Hypocritical Chat: President Joyce Band (left) sharing notes with Callista At Bingu's Funeral

Hypocritical Chat: President Joyce Band (left) sharing notes with Callista At Bingu’s Funeral

President Joyce Banda says the ‘mai wa mandasi’ title does much honour than harm to her, as it is the true description of who she is.

Most of Banda’s critics, especially women from the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) have for often times dismissed her as more of a mandasi (fritter) trader that a leader.

“Actually, when they call me a mandasi woman, they are honouring me and I’m very proud of it. This is a clear testimony through their own mouths that I have reached out to so many women for the past decade. That is the same journey that has seen me becoming the most powerful woman in Africa,” President Banda said today in Nkhata-bay.

The sarcastic title which was coined by Mulanje West parliamentarian Patricia Kaliati, and rejuvenated recently by the former first lady Callista Mutharika, is highly connected to Joyce Banda grassroots economic empowerment initiatives.

Speaking recently at Pastors Voices Fraternal conference at Assemblies of God Church in Malawi’s commercial city of Blantyre recently, Callista said that just because Joyce Banda once run an non-governmental organisation, Hunger Project, it doesn’t mean she’s capable of running a country.
“When [once] I said a Mandasi [fritter] seller, people thought it was just an insult or shabby talk. But [the thing is] I’ve known her from way back. Just because she once ran an NGO, it doesn’t mean she’s capable to run a country.”
Callista donated a sum of K220 000 to pastors’ wives to start up a revolving fund for small-scale businesses but warned them not to go into Mandasi businesses.
“Don’t start mandasi businesses, there’s no profit in them with the kwacha devaluation,” she advised.
Before Banda went into politics, her organisation National Association for Business Women, gave loans to women to start small businesses. Some went into mandasi (fritters) business and helped support their families.

16 Responses to "Joyce Banda Hits Back At her Critics: Yes, I am Mai wa Mandasi Who Is Now Africa’s Most Powerful Woman"

1. Pingback: Joyce Banda has bigger problems than Madonna | Face of Malawi

2. Pingback: Joyce Banda has bigger problems than Madonna – Africa is a Country

3. mphunzitsi  March 4, 2013 at 1:31 pm

kutukwana sikukuthandizani chilichonse. U must talk sense. Stop talking nosense. JB ndimtsogoleri wadziko lino pakadali pano malinga ndi chikonzero cha namalenga. Choncho tikuyenera kumulemekeza.

4. POLLENSKIE CHISAMBO  March 4, 2013 at 8:01 am

2day it feels good 2hv awoman president..as the saying goes,if u teach a man,u teach one person,but if u teach awoman,u teach anation.we r all behind u mai Banda.don,t worry about these bitter failures.they will come around.u we put there by God,and only him,can decide 4u.GOD BLESS MALAWI

5. Nambewe from Malawi  March 4, 2013 at 1:16 am

You see what I mean? It comes into her head straight to the mouth no censorship in the head!

A mai! a president sayankhula choncho ai! Let me tell you who is the most powerful at the moment, IT IS THE VOTER! I have now decided this woman is a liar! recently she said ” I am a servant of the people”. Now she says I am the most powerful woman in Africa! How can you be both!

I am so ashamed! so ashamed!she is so dangerous!

If I were you Joyce what I would do with these comments would be to take them to a quiet corner and get to understand what they are really pointing at and see if I need to do something about it.

Did you see how Gadaffi ended?, I hope to God you do not end like that but he used to believe he was the most powerful man in the world! never mind Africa, he died on the streets! with people clapping! This business you are in mum is difficult, try to train your self to speak with discipline. Unfortunately sometimes you really behave like a Mandasi woman.

If you have any personal grudges with anyone don’t take them to the podium. The podium is for communicating with your people about how the country is running. Joyce You need good advisers.

You need to look at the ettiquette of the level at which you are funtioning now ans topp making all these gaffs! Please!Please!

6. Five Moba  March 3, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Who fuck you and told you that you are the most poweful woman in Africa? Which Africa? Do you have Africa at your ass? Stupid bitch, owoooo!! I know what you mean, ya you are!! Bcoz you can sleep with diffrent men at atime, bitch thats the power you are talking about. Let me tell you, if there is useless woman in Africa you are No. 1, pitilizani kuchinditsa kwa anthu ambilimbliwo, a husband snatcher, whule, mandasi woman, ukodza magazi next year pa mnyelo pako.

• general  March 4, 2013 at 7:35 am

Yemweyo JB .kaya utukwane utani wagwanayo.Ikapitiliza cardiac ikuchita arrest ngati gogo whisk man idamumenyela in one second.

7. CHIPWISI  March 3, 2013 at 5:17 pm

powerful in snatching other peoples husbands and sleeping with other other people men.

8. Hilda dzina la Hule  March 3, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Koma akuluakulu nkhutu nkumveyu JB ndiwochimwitsa!

9. Koma Inu  March 3, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Another blunder, osamazichemelera nokha mai, lekani anthu akuyamikileni osati nokha maka maka anthu akamavutika mdziko chonchi..

10. Chidambo  March 3, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Mbuzi ya munthu, u cant call urself powerful unless u survive barrot battle, otherwise it will b just a mare crown offered by Bingu.

11. Former mtumbuka odeda ndi woponderezedwa  March 3, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Alekeni wamama

12. Chandiwirapasi Mkorongo  March 3, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Asatinyase galu ameneyu mxiii.

13. mlomwe original  March 3, 2013 at 2:59 pm

who told you that you are the most powerful woman in Africa

14. daph walker  March 3, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Surely the Donors must have told her that she is Africa’s Most Woeful Woman.

15. mtila  March 3, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Wishful thinking, who told her that she is the most powerful woman in Africa? If western bodies blackmail you with fake tittles and you baloon such bogus rhetorics yourself shows you as the most foolish woman in Africa who sold her country to the IMF and Tanzania.